What is the Oil Cleansing Method?
Sometimes you just don’t feel like washing your face with soap (or cleanser) and water and this is where the oil cleansing method comes in! What is the oil cleansing method (or OCM) you ask? Well, I’ll tell ya! At first, it might sound a bit messy and you may be wondering, why on earth would I clean my face with oil?
The key here is choosing the correct oil.
Never use a low quality oil, such as baby oil. Baby oil is nothing but mineral oil, which is not good for the skin at all. I know, it’s supposed to be safe because it’s for babies, but it’s just not. I’ll discuss which oil you should choose in a few. This method is great for makeup removal or for cleansing in the morning.
The OCM has a few steps you need to follow for it to be successful, but don’t worry, it’s extremely easy and will leave your face cleansed, soft, and moisturized.
Oil Cleansing Method Steps
1. Choose a skin healthy oil which will not clog your pores. My favorite oil to use for the OCM is organic coconut oil. You can also use olive oil or castor oil. Like I mentioned earlier, never use baby oil. In addition, steer clear of using conventional vegetable oils such as canola, which is most likely a GMO product.
2. Apply the oil all over your face, massaging lightly. If I am using the oil to remove my eye makeup too, I usually wait to rub a little bit on my eyes (while my eyes are closed) last.
3. Wet a washcloth with warm water (be careful not to make it too hot or you’ll burn your face!) and lay the wash cloth gently over your face.
4. If you need to remoisten the cloth, do so and gently wipe the oil off your face (don’t rub hard!)
5. Your skin will be very smooth and clean. When I use this method, I usually skip the moisturizer since the coconut oil leaves some moisture on my skin. However, if you have very dry skin, I would follow with moisturizer.
Why use the OCM when cleanser and water is pretty easy to use?
That’s all there is to it! So why would you want to use the oil cleansing method as opposed to just using normal cleanser and water? For me, sometimes I just don’t feel like wetting my entire face, especially when I get home late after a night out. It’s so easy to rub oil on your face and that warm towel feels so good! It removes eye makeup really well too.
How often can I use the OCM?
You can do this two times a day, or just at night to remove your makeup. I usually do it 4-5 times per week. It’s a natural way to cleanse your face and also helps you conserve your liquid cleanser since you won’t be using it as much. I want to thank Sheila Hansen of If a Goddess Wore Makeup for asking me about this and reminding me that I wanted to write about it!
So now it’s your turn!
Have you used the OCM before and how did you like it?
What is your favorite oil to use?
Share your comments below.
Please show me some love and Like, Tweet, Google+ and Stumble this post.
Stay natural…stay beautiful…go green!
Get my FREE Guide to Safe Cosmetics
Enter your email for instant access to "Label Lies"