How to Make An Avocado Face and Hair Mask
I have a riddle for you today! I am little. I’m pear-shaped. My skin is rough and green yet my inside is soft and smooth. I’m an undercover fruit even though everyone thinks I’m a vegetable! What am I? I’ll give you three guesses…I’m an avocado! Lately, I’ve been obsessed with this perfect food. I even came up with my own guacamole recipe that is awesome! Don’t worry, I will share (the recipe, but not my guac!) When I was younger, I didn’t like avocados, but as I have matured and learned more about the incredible health benefits of certain foods, my tastes have changed. For example, when I was little, I hated hot dogs too, which looking back might have been a really good decision. But today, I adore a yummy organic chicken or turkey dog! Anyway, I digress…the purpose of today’s post is to share with you why I love the avocado for health and beauty. Read on to discover the wonderful world of avocado benefits and learn how to make a lovely avocado face and hair mask.
First off, many people stay away from this food due to it’s high calories and fat content. Just how many calories does a whole avocado have? A medium sized avocado has about 276 calories, 85% of which comes from fat. Yikes! That means if I eat avocado, I will get fat. Wrong! Eating fat doesn’t actually make you fat…at least not when you eat the Omega-3 healthy fats found in such foods as avocado and coconut. Just don’t eat too much of them since everything is always best in moderation. There are so many ways to integrate this mild-tasting fruit ( it is really a fruit, not a veggie) into your daily diet. Here’s a few suggestions:
- Guacamole/Dips (recipe to come, stop salivating!)
- Add to sandwiches
- Add to garden salads
- Integrate into chicken salad
- Delicious with salmon
- Eat it raw!
If you have a child or a husband who simply doesn’t like vegetables, this fruit is a great way to get them to eat their “veggies.” The taste is mild, almost eggy, and you can jazz it up with herbs and spices. Next time you are stumped as to what side to serve with dinner, go green with some avocado. Check out the California Avocados site for more tasty recipes. To get my special guacamole recipe, “Like” my Facebook page and you will see it posted there.
There’s a host of other reasons why you should be eating this little green fruit. It’s loaded with vitamins, minerals, and has many other benefits, including one which may surprise you. Here are some of the nutrients packed in the avocado:
- Carotenoids- These are anti-inflammatory compounds such as beta-carotene, alpha-carotene and lutein. Why should you care about inflammation? Inflammation is where disease in the body starts and can activate conditions such as arthritis and cancer.
- Omega 3 Fats- These fats play a vital role in fighting inflammation in the body and lower the risk for heart disease.
- Vitamins- Avos are rich in Vitamin K, fiber, potassium, B6, C and copper and over 25 more essential nutrients and vitamins.
- Low carb/Low sugar food- Hello low carb dieters! While it’s low in carbs and sugar, it’s also high in fiber so that means when you eat it, you feel fuller, longer. In addition, it also regulates your blood sugar, so this food is ideal for diabetics.
- Anti-cancer- The anti-inflammatory compounds and anti-oxidants work to improve inflammatory and oxidative stress levels. In lab tests, avocado has been shown to kill cancer cells while supporting healthy cells.
- Libido increaser- I bet you didn’t know this one! It contains high amounts of B6 which increases male hormones and potassium which helps regulate the thyroid in women and men, equaling increased libido.
So as you can see, avocado nutrition is a powerhouse and there truly is medicine in real food.
Avocado Face Mask/Avocado Hair Mask
Ok, so now that we have all the technical jargon done, we can get to the juicy stuff! How can we use the healthy avocado on our skin and hair? It’s easier than you think. I love using food on my face, especially when I can get away with using only one ingredient! Here’s what you do:
- Buy an avocado (preferably organic, stay away from the pesticide infused stuff)
- Slice it lengthwise, gently pull apart, and scoop out the flesh inside.
- Mash in a bowl until you have a creamy consistency.
- Apply the avocado to a cleansed face (I also like to use scrub prior to doing a mask) and all through your scalp and hair. Longer hair may require another avocado.
- Leave on for 15 minutes. It will start to feel a bit itchy, that’s normal!
- Get in the shower and rinse. It might take two shampoos to get all the green stuff out of your hair.
- Come out of the shower with glowing skin and hair softer than a baby’s bottom.
What exactly does avocado do to the skin and hair? Here you go:
- Imparts nourishing oils, but does not make the hair or skin “oily”
- Adds shine
- Repairs pollution and sun damage
- Stimulates hair growth
- Penetrates skin with powerful moisture
- Boosts collagen (wrinkle fighter!) and cell growth
This proves that you don’t need to be at the salon every two weeks for a conditioning treatment. The solution to dull, dry hair is in making your very own homemade hair mask. You may look a little strange with all the green goo on your head and face, but who cares? You will look fabulous afterwards. Out of all my beloved facial mask recipes, this one is by far my favorite. It’s one of the best face masks for dry skin. It will do wonders for you! I also recorded a video for those of you who like to “watch” instead of read. I am like that too sometimes! Be sure to check out the video below, especially if you want to see my green face and hair! There was a few Kermit the Frog sightings in my house when I did this video. It’s a good thing he was my favorite muppet. So now that you know about the many ways avocado benefits your health and your appearance, are you excited to give it a try? Leave a comment and let me know how your avocado face and hair mask turned out. You can even send me pictures at email@example.com with avocado all over your face! I’d love to see it.
Get my FREE Guide to Safe Cosmetics
Enter your email for instant access to "Label Lies"